Established in 1955, The Humane Society of South Mississippi (HSSM) is the largest animal welfare organization in the state of Mississippi. They are committed to ending pet over-population and homelessness and do so through their lifesaving programs such as aggressive spay/neuter efforts, progressive adoption programs, proactive pet identification campaigns, exhaustive return to owner efforts, pet wellness and innovative love train transports. They depend on the support and generosity of the community to provide high-quality care and compassion to over 7,000 homeless pets each year. HSSM is an open admissions shelter, which means they are the last resort for the most vulnerable pets of South MS. HSSM’s current save rate is 88.5% which means they are well on their way to achieving a national “No Kill” status of a 90% live release rate and plan on celebrating this milestone with their supporters as soon as it is safe to do so!
As part of the Humane Society of South Mississippi’s mission, HSSM strives to do everything in their power to keep pets and families together and decrease pet overpopulation along the Gulf Coast. HSSM realizes that people love their pets and want to provide them with the very best care possible. However, they may have fallen on hard times or are just unable to afford the resources they need. It gives HSSM great joy to be able to give back to those that need it the most and keep pets living a happy and healthy life in their homes! Assistance includes pet food; pet retention (pet deposits, fencing, leashes, kennels, bowls, etc.); spay/neuter and pet wellness (exams, vaccinations, preventatives, heartworm treatment, microchips, etc.).
In addition, HSSM hosts quarterly “Pop-up” Pet Resource Clinics in targeted, underserved areas along the Gulf Coast, offering free services and spay/neuter vouchers to pet parents in need. HSSM also operates a low-cost Wellness Clinic which is open and available to the public each Wednesday from 8am-4pm and located inside the shelter’s spay/neuter clinic. For more information on HSSM’s programs, please visit: www.hssm.org.
HSSM 2019 Stats
• 7,039 of the most vulnerable animals of South Mississippi found shelter and care at HSSM.
• 4,181 abandoned animals were adopted into loving homes.
• 2,007 orphaned animals were placed into foster care to receive tender loving care and weekly medical check-ups at HSSM.
• 528 animals went out on a slumber party for the weekend to give them a break from the shelter.
• 390 animals were loaded aboard HSSM's Love Train and were transported to other shelters across the country where they could receive a second chance at their happily ever after.
• 6,081 microchips were implanted into animals making them 80% more likely to be reunited with their families when/if they should ever go missing.
• 970 lost pets were reunited with their owners.
• 5,555 free or low cost spay/neuter surgeries were performed to reduce pet overpopulation in South Mississippi.
• 183 pets were served through HSSM's "Pop-up" Pet Resource Wellness Fairs with FREE vaccinations, check-ups, microchips, flea/tick preventative and heartworm tests/preventative.
• 105 free spay/neuter vouchers were distributed through the "Pop-up" Pet Resource Wellness Fairs.